Friday 22 December 2023

Christmas Eve

 

Towers of snow billow through the halo 

Of the streetlamp outside

My glass is just under half empty

Just over half full

This still moment of my life

Is good


Christmas Eve is dark and warm

And disappearing beneath the weight

Of this beautiful blizzard

And I love the weight

And I love the waiting


The sky is alive

Flurries of weather

Snowflakes, daft and playful

They don’t know

What is down

What is up

And they dance accordingly


The book, open over the chair arm

Is my companion

I can’t read - the sky is too bewitching

And anyway, it has grown too dark

It is enough that it is close by

Myths and legends

Its words humming below the quiet


The snow comes down and down and down

The moment breathes me in

Breathes me out


Quiet joy in a quantum state

Glows in, through the cracks


A lot of weight to put on a single day

It’s a weight which wraps me up and 

Makes me warm

A heavy white blanket of imagination and maybes


And I love the weight

And I love the waiting


Lights glow gently on the tree

Outside the world is shaped and reshaped


I think, 

Maybe

We’re going to be OK








1 comment:

  1. A wonderful ending to a year of verse. Some funny, some sad and moving, all a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete