Saturday 9 December 2023

Bad Continuity

 

It’s dark and it’s been cold all day but

The steam from the tea is warm on my face

I go to drink, 

Fingers through the handle of the cup

Blink

A cut

An elliptical edit

A random memory

Heat on my skin

My day, thrown out of synch


And it’s Summer and you’re there

Smiling, sun behind your head

And I turn and try to move

But my shadow’s not ready to follow

It stutters and jerks

Bad continuity

This sequence doesn’t work


There’s a drag, a pull on my soul

You’re gone and I’m here

As the room realigns

How did this cup of tea

Get so cold 

In so short a time?


This happens too often

A robot would handle these 

Contradictions better

My face in the mirror

An overcomplicated representation of very simple data


A Kuleshov experiment in ambiguous meaning

Longing, happiness, 

Regret and annoyance

All readable in this blank face

Whenever the memory of you

Leaves the building






1 comment: