Thursday 4 November 2010

"My Aids Hell": Son of God tells all.

I wonder if you've seen this particularly mental story about Jesus being HIV positive.

For those whose life offers distractions enough without them having to click on links as well, the story is roughly this: a South African church pastor, blessed with the Star Wars-esque name Xola Skosana, preached  a sermon on the idea that the Jesus, son of God and all round nice bloke, had the HIV virus.




Now, when I first heard about this I'm afraid to say I had the predictable reaction. What fool, I wondered, would say such a moronic things? I'm mean, yes - this is a story about a Christian which has made it on the news, so the guy must be mental in some way or the other - but... what? What??? WHAT???

I think I said "What?!?" about five times before composing myself and trying to find a more considered way to approach the story. I couldn't think of one, so I just said "What??!!??" again, this time waving my arms about.

Well, here's what. Having read the article, and thought about what Darth Skosana says, I think he may be... kind of right. And kind of brilliant.

OK, now you're saying "What?!?"  Well, calm down, I'll explain. No, better. Look - here's a kitten. He'll explain.


(Picture of kitten not available. I know. It's sad.)


Anyway, here's the what. Obviously everyone got all 'Whoah' about the whole Jesus/HIV thing, and that does make sense. I mean, scientifically it seems implausible. But science wasn't really the main cause of 'What?' around the Christian communiity (and by 'Christian Community' I mean, of course, religious leaders of all dominations plus readers of the Daily Mail who think they are Christian, partly because they were born in Kent and partly because they have sensed there might be a something to be cross about). No, most people were instantly annoyed at the association between Jesus - all brill and holy and pure - and HIV - as dirty and poisonous as a thing can be.

(As a side thought here, has anyone heard from the Catholics on this? The idea of communion wine turning into Jesus' blood might carry some pretty unpleasant connotations if any of this turned out to be true.)

To my mind, the outrage about the 'dirtying' of Jesus is why Mr Skosana's sermon idea is brilliant. Not because I think Jesus actually had the HIV virus - that really wasn't his point. And not, as Skosana's critics would say, because I am blasphemous and without respect for Christ. No. His point was a great point for two reasons. I'm going to call them 'Bob' and 'Jennifer'.

Reason Bob is this. In South Africa, and it must be said in much of the 'Christian' world, HIV and Aids are synonymous with sin. Promiscuity. Immoral lifestyles. And thus a mass of suffering humanity, rather than being helped, are kicked out of 'normal' society to die in misery. Like, well, like lepers. Brave/mad Mr Skosana has stood up for a disposessed and villified group, at great risk. What is more Christ-like - to condemn someone or to stand up and identify with them? Whether you believe in a Christian God or not, I think the answer to this is pretty easy to work out.



Reason Jennifer is more to do with how we see Christ, and indeed religion. Hundreds of years of Christianity have worked to distance the man Jesus- a real person who lived with and for the weak, the lost and those without a voice. As the memory of this man has diminished, the Church which failed to keep it alive has built up a powerful, untouchable, otherworldly Christ. So powerful, so amazing and so holy is this Christ that he must be protected - by the Church - from anyone mentioning his name in conjunction with anything dirty, unpleasant, offensive or truly human.

This is kind of strange. Because one of the major concerns of Jesus, as I understand it. was to say 'Hey everyone, how about we stop looking at the surface of everything and valuing it according to how inconvenient or dirty it appears at first glance?' And he didn't just say it, he did it. Any Christian who gets upset at associating Jesus with dirt and horrible things is guilty not just of missing the point, but of failing to live up to their basic responsibility to look after those who find themselves in a crap place.

I'm not much of a theologian, as you have probably noticed. But I know what makes people good and what makes them idiots. Xola Skosona appears to be a good man.



No comments:

Post a Comment