Sunday 8 January 2023

Lopsided


I have, of late, become uneven

Physically, I think

There’s disparity in the way I move

My arms, the way I 

Smile, the way I blink


I’m lopsided, 

Non-perpendicular

An asymmetrical reponse

To matters regular and peculiar


I peer into mirrors

Pestering them to reveal

The nature of the imbalance I perceive

And they would know, 

Mirrors

Being, by nature, creatures of

Exacting synchronicity


But when I twist 

And flux 

And stretch

Hoping to catch 

A vagary in performance

In the version of myself the glass reflects


The mirror fails to report

Any such infraction

Right is left

And left is right

If there’s a difference,
I can’t catch one


Except, perhaps

A growing schism

Between the fractured lines 

Of the old man’s face reflected

And the younger looks

And brighter eyes

My foolish, naive heart

Expected





3 comments:

  1. I love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel this way... Love how eloquently you’re able to phrase it though

    ReplyDelete