Sunday 29 January 2023

First Light

 

I am waiting in the car

It is early

And it is cold


The vents breathe lukewarm air

Against the frozen windows

A patch of clear glass is slowly revealing itself

Through the ice and condensation


The radio is on, but quietly

The burble of noise, 

Fades in and out of the remnants of dreams

Nibbles at the edges of my waking mind

As the warming air gently erodes

The borders of frost on the windscreen


Streetlights and amber houses

Glow gently through 

This dissolving glacier

This ice white cocoon

Fractal diamonds

Crumbling to reveal the world


I like the slowness of this

The gentle changing of states

Watching the frontiers of Winter weaken and fade

Silver crystals soften and drift

And melt away


I hear the muffled thump of the house front door

In moments you will be here

I turn the heater up full

Warmth crawls swiftly across the remains

Of this melting battlefield

Fingers of heat spread out

Tearing apart the last of the night


Footsteps approach

You open the car door

And my day begins






1 comment: