Sunday 29 October 2023

It's Not My Fault You're A Poltergeist

 

Could you please, please

Please

For the love of God

For just one hour

Stop haunting my bloody living room?


You supernatural wanker

You smug, ethereal, invisible prick. 

Banging on doors and

Tugging at curtains

Then presumably, silently, laughing yourself sick


Were you like this when you were alive?

Stealing things? Slamming doors? 

Adding things to the search history on my laptop?

Except now you’re invisible, 

So you’re extra delighted with yourself. 


Did you take my pen? Was that you?

Because it’s not where I put it this morning.

And this has all the hallmarks of your behaviour. 

It’s pathetic. 

It’s derivative. 

Do you genuinely find this rewarding?


Is this what you talk about at spooky club?

To all the other ghosts?

“I stole a pen”?

“He was looking for a pen but… whoaaaah! 

It wasn’t where he expected!

Terrifying!

I’d used my otherworldly powers to hide it

Because I’m a restless entity

Beyond mortal comprehension.”


I hope the other ghosts laugh at you.

I hope they do it to your face

If you even have one

I hope you meet a ghost who’s done a murder, 

Or a possession

And you feel, rightfully, inadequate by comparison


Where’s my pen?


I hope you die again, only worse. 

And it’s really painful and humiliating

And then you’re still a ghost, 

But next time you get a different curse

Where you’re compelled to roam the earth 

Putting things back where they belong

Or closing doors

Or working out which day the bins go out

Or dispensing pens

Rather than stealing them when I need them most


I’ve looked up your name and it means, “Noisy spirit.”

But it shouldn’t say that. It should say, “Tosser.”

Because that is what you are. 

Literally, I suppose, because you do throw things about

But that’s not what I mean

I mean, you should be ashamed of yourself

Using the spiritual realm to mess up my house


Anyway. 


I found my pen. 

It was in the car. 


I’m not apologising. 

It might not have been you, but

It’s the sort of thing you would have done


If you were real





1 comment: