Thursday 3 August 2023

Are We Becoming Friends?

 

The wine tastes great so I pour myself some more

Never taking my eyes off your lips as you talk

The air between us bubbles with the joy

Of stories that are new

Of personalities at full force


You are a spark, an overwhelming thing

A series of patterns that coalesce in

Firework blues and neon blossom pink

Exploding in slow motion trails after your hands


It’s impossibly beautiful, and so of course

Lazy synapses trigger

"Here comes true romance," they sing,

Something bigger than the regular emotional response

Loads of different pleasure chemicals firing at once


But I’ve been here before

And so I pause 

The glass at my mouth

The aroma of wine dark and hesitant 

As I breathe slowly in


These are well worn paths

Grooves into which I easily slip

Songs I don’t even notice I’m singing


Love, maybe, yeah

But love is a word 

Translated from a dozen different languages

A place where roads meet from a scattering of cities

Destinations as unlike each other 

As time is from space

As flirtation is from confidence

And as friendship is from romance


Where we are, sitting here,

Illuminated by low lights and the coming on of night

Is not a place unto itself

More a possibility space

We can choose to set off in any direction


I pour you more wine

Try to slow myself down

Stroke the curved edge arc of my glass

And let this moment 

Unfold in real time

















1 comment: