Sunday 9 July 2023

Aorta Know Better

 

It’s hard to know what 

My stupid tiny heart is trying to say

After all these years you would have thought

I’d learn it’s tricks and rhythms

What it means and how it dances


Is this joy? Or just the edge of tears?

The tapping of a perfect offbeat to your song

Or the panicked, scattering sound

Of feet scrabbling on a polished floor

Trying to get a long, long way away?


You dumb heart

You inconsistent drum

You morse code messenger

You thump and strut and hum

You sing me half a song


And when I think that I’ve begun

To get the pattern of your beat

You kick backwards

Retroactive

Lose me in the asymetric bouncing

Of stacatto sound surrounding me


Losing me in polyphonic cacaphonies

I like to think I’m thinking logically

But after all these years

There’s mystery inside of me

Punctuated quavers fluctuating 

As I try to simply say


It makes me feel all funny

When you look at me

That way







1 comment: