Sunday 4 June 2023

Stay on Target

 

Close your eyes and let it drift away

It’s OK if now and then

We don’t create an epic story with our day


If we say fewer words to one another

Than Schwarzenegger in the original Terminator

If our interior worlds remain unsaid

If, sometimes, when the light goes off

You just need to sink forever into bed


If the most romantic thing I’ve said all day

Is “I got you a biscuit,

Because I was getting myself a biscuit

But if you don’t want it, I’ll have it.”


Our silence as we stare at our phones

If this were a play

Would be a telling tableau of a relationship

With all the colour drained


But days like these are echoes, not of disaster

But of a song that’s always there

If you know how to listen

Of days when the course is set and strong and good


And I need nothing more than you

In my peripheral vision






1 comment: