Friday 28 April 2023

Wild Bunch

 

I bought you some flowers

They were incredibly cheap

However cheap you think they might have been

Think deeper

These were cheaper


There were more expensive bunches

I mean, it would have been basically impossible

For that not to be the case

But they kind of sucked

All tasteful and kind of polite

Creams and pinks and seven different shades of white


These, the ones I got, are not refined

They are colourful and mad

If they could talk they would chatter and laugh

They are pretty

They are daft


The best ones are the ones that look kind of blueish

Lilies? 

Something like that. Maybe irises?

So vibrant a violet

So violent a hue

With weird long lips and rapscallion tongues

Like ragged holes through which

A Summer sky comes


There’s red ones and I’m pretty sure these

Are roses. They’re

Famous and romantic, 

But they wear it lightly

Tilting their vermillion heads at rakish angles

As if to say, yeah

There’s more to romance than flowers and candles


And there are some little yellow guys too

Popping all over

Weird little optimists

Babbling around the others

Full of love, little explosions of bliss


So very, very cheap, this glorious bouquet

I picked them up and put them back 

And looked at them

And picked them up

And I did that for a bit

And then I committed

And now they’re yours


And I know that you’ll just think they’re great

You’ll put them in sunshine

And you’ll know their names

And though they cost less than a Crunchie

You’ll love them ‘til their wilted bunches

Say a sad goodbye

Which will be in about three days time


And then I’ll find something else small

And weird

To make you happy for a while

I know no present ever lasts

So I’ll just keep on doing this

For as long as it makes you smile






1 comment: