Thursday 31 March 2011

Thieves and liars




I am, and always have been, ridiculously naive when it comes to legal issues. You know how, when you're a kid, you think that the law should be fairly simplistic and punish people who do wrong stuff according to the severity of their crimes? Well, I'm still like that. I believe trifling matters like petty theft should be punished with something mild like 'straight to bed without supper', whilst believing that those foolish enough to transgress in the ways I deem most severe - bullying the weak, starting illegal wars, junking the early episodes of Doctor Who etc - should be strapped into a machine that thrusts spikes into their no-good innards and shaves off their fingers and toes with some kind of rotating grindstone.

And it really is ridiculous. I have spent years studying contextual influences and the constructed nature of cultural norms, and I know that simplistic notions of morality become absurdly complex once thrown into real world networks of cause and effect. But sometimes I look around and can't help but see things with the eyes of my ten year old self, and wish that Superman would just come and - you know - punch the bad guys.

Take this story, from the anti-cuts protests on Saturday. A group of protesters occupied Fortnum and Mason's, wanting to draw attention to the estimated £10 million the parent company avoids in tax each year. It was, as far as I can tell, a peaceful protest. The Police negotiated with them, and agreed to let them go free if they left under police instruction. The protesters did as asked. The Police arrested them.

Some debate has ensued as to the morality of this. Yes, technically the protesters were doing something illegal. But at he same time, they were protesting against something that, though legal, was incredibly immoral. The perpetrators of a tax scam remain free to do as they please, stealing from the poor in all but name, while those who dare take action to point it out suffer for having the temerity to oppose 'the way things work'. Which is worse? Annoying some shoppers for a bit? Or profiting from a legal loophole that allows you to keep money that simply doesn't belong to you - money that belongs to a country struck by increasing joblessness, and homelessness, and illness and social turmoil broughy about by a collapsing economy? I think if we asked Judge Dredd, he would have a pretty clear answer for us by return of post.







This sort of blindness really angers me. It's like when MP Eric Illsley looked like he might appeal his jail sentence for fraudulently spending our money on his own stuff. Why the hell shouldn't he go to jail? He's taken money that doesn't rightfully belong to him, to make his own life easier. I'd go to jail for that, and probably so would you (unless you're a company director or MP that is). But because there exist these odd notions of legality, that apply more to obvious acts of rebellion than to under-the-carpet chicanery - he feels able to bleat about his discomfort. You stole that, you wanker. It didn't belong to you, and you took it. Same as Fortnum and Mason, same as Philip Green, same as... well, lots of people. It doesn't matter if you've found a reason for calling it legal. It's still wrong.

I'm sure if I sat in power, surrounded by the mechanisms of society, with fuller perspective of how everything works, I'd understand better why these things happen. But I really hope that never happens. I quite like my ten year old's perspective, waiting for these smug bastards who feel the world owes them a living, to come tumbling down into the threshing machine of justice. I'm going to stay here for a while. Please bring biscuits.

6 comments:

  1. Heard a joke the other day:
    A banker, a Daily Mail reader and an assylum seeker are sitting around a plate of 12 biscuits.
    The Banker eats 11 then says to the Daily Mail reader "I think that assylum seeker wants your biscuit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got the point exactly right. Not only do I agree with your views but support you whole heartedly. In fact I have postulated the same on various occasions. Next time I meet you I want to shake your hand! What’s more you look good with a guitar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's clear that UK Uncut broke the law at all in F&M. It doesn't seem that they were asked to leave, and there's no reason in law why people can't go into a shop, sit down, and recite poetry. It's not clear that a charge of aggravated trespass (which is a ridiculous law which Thatcher brought in to criminalise peaceful protest anyhow) will stick.

    On MPs, I'll be a bit unpopular here and say that while I by no means defend the likes of Illsley, I don't have much confidence that a similar proportion of the general public would have acted very differently. Easy to justify your own sin etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you anonymous. You mysterious stranger you.

    Tim - thanks, I didn't know that about the legality of the sit-in situation. On MPS - I think you're probably right that many people would act the same. The problem for me isn't really that MPs have a different intrinsic morality - it's that systems exist which appear to justify their actions. This is the think I've noticed since I was a teenager - if you wear a suit and speak in mannered tones, your actions are somehow deemed more worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course that should say 'thing I've noticed', not 'think'. I'm so thick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed in general - though in this case they weren't treated as more worthy, they were jailed!

    ReplyDelete