Wednesday 8 February 2012

On Screen Pointless

Hello again, The BBC. It's me, Rob. I recently contacted you complain about you sticking "Coming Next" banners over the last few minutes of programmes I was watching. If you can't remember, you can go read my original complaint, and your reply, here.

I'll be honest... your reply did not really satisfy me. It didn't really feel like you paid much attention to what I'd said. In fact, it felt like you took only the most cursory glance at  my complaint and then sent out an impersonal, standard reply, dismissing me like you might a spaniel, or a medieval serf. Well. Much as I love you, The BBC, and support you vigorously on a constant basis, I feel you have let me down here. Leaving me with trust issues. BBC Trust issues, if you will.




Luckily for me, you have given me the option to take my complaint further, if I am not satisfied. I can only assume this is some kind of 'weeding out' process, designed to filter out less persistent complaints and see who is really determined to have a moan even when faced with your blank indifference. Having considered the kind of compaints you do respond to, perhaps I should have said something like this:


Dear The BBC

I never watch any of your channels, but the Daily Mail told me that you are a bunch of bastards, and I, for one, am outraged. Apparently one of your programmes offended their journalists in some way, and even though I haven't seen it I would like you to crawl on the floor in repentance and never do it again. Whatever it was.

yours idiotically

A. Moron


I've seen the results of these letters before. You love apologising to those guys. You apologise and apologise, make good people resign for no reason,  and then you institute blunt, idiotic changes to the editorial freedoms of your staff. Because for some reason an irritated, ill informed attack on something that doesn't matter sends you all into spirals of panic and self doubt. But heaven forbid you actually listen to someone who is upset at the quality of the viewing experience itself. No. They can have a standard, impersonal response that does nothing but justify your own pre-existing policy and utterly ignore everything they have said.

Well, not good enough. I have a couple of issues with your response. Here they are. Please read them this time.





1. "We have duty to let the audience know about the choices available..."

Let's assume this is true, and you do see this as a service rather than, say, advertising. Here are some ways people can find out about your programmes:

Any newspaper
The Radio Times
Any other television listing magazine
Literally dozens of sites on the internet
Announcements between programmes
Announcements over the end credits of programmes
Phoning up the BBC (apparently)
Electronic Programme Guides
Waiting until it is on and saying "Oh! I like this!"
Watching it on iPlayer if you miss it anyway

All methods, you'll notice, which don't intrude on the actual act of watching the programme itself. Which, of course, is the only reason to advertise the bloody thing in the first place.

I think this offers a sufficient range of opportunities for finding out what is on telly next. I don't think you need to fret about your duty not being done. In fact, I'd say that if people can't work out what is on after being given all these opportunities, they are probably too stupid to understand television, and probably use theirs as an altar for sacrificing chickens.






 2. Our research suggests...

"The feedback we received is positive regarding the enjoyment levels of our trails. The results show that trails found to be entertaining and informative are generally high."


 I'm going to come right out and say that I don't believe this, at all. You are saying that these specific bits of advertising -'in programme pointers' you call them - are appreciated by more viewers than they annoy? Really?

Hmm. Actually, you're not quite saying that, are you? You say your research 'suggests' this. Suggests... Shall I tell you what this 'suggests' to me? It suggests that you have taken some very broad research about trailers in general, and applied it unscientifically to this particular issue. I think you had a survey that went something like this:

Do you find trailers on the BBC:

a) brilliant and useful
b) pretty good
c) not too bad - certainly better than being sick

And people have thought about trailers - you know, like the lovely one at Christmas with David Jason or the brilliant 'Bring Me Sunshine" one from last year- and thought "Yeah! They're excellent! Much better than being sick!" And they've all given you really positive feedback.

And then you've applied these vague and positively-weighted results to the justification of all your advertising - including the horrible, irritating On Screen rubbish you insist on sticking over the end of programmes. I mean, please correct me if I'm way off on this. If you can direct me to the specific research that you have done - research on the subject of 'on screen pointers' that has options ranging from "I find on-screen pointers useful" to "I think on-screen pointers are cultural vandalism, they make me want to puke, I hate them, arg, arg, the misery!" - if you can show me that research, and it proves your case, I will believe you.

But I don't think you can. So I won't.

I think this is self serving, meaningless nonsense, using nebulous 'research' to justify decisions that have already been made for commercial reasons. You want to talk about duty? You have a duty to provide quality programming - a duty that exceeds any invented requirement to inform people of what's on in five minutes time. You want to talk about audience feedback? Let's see a response to this complaint that mirrors your reaction when someone whips up a tabloid frenzy about a swear word they thought they heard.

I love you, The BBC. You are important, and artistic, and clever and bold. If you were a woman I would try to get you drunk. If you were a man I would try to impress you by doing the 'Funny how?' monologue from Goodfellas. As it is, you are a creative enterprise and so I want to encourage you to be better.

Be better. Get rid of these on screen pointers. Do it now.

4 comments:

  1. We have this annoying thin on a lot of cable channels...not only is there practically a ticker running at the bottom of coming programs...next, next week, next year...but occasionally characters from these shows will pop up at the bottom of the screen.

    What's really maddening g about this is that there is a guide embeded in the cable. You hit a button and you can scroll through every channels schedule for the next two months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob, I've thought of a great metaphor for "in-programme pointers". I like it so much that I might even send it in to the BBC myself.

    You're in a restaurant. It's a really nice restaurant. They serve good food here. Of course, not every dish on the menu is to your liking, but then wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked the same thing? You've nearly finished eating your main course (my word, this is delicious) when a waiter shoves the dessert menu between your face and your food. Would you like to order dessert sir? Well, you might, or you might not... but right now you are eating your main course. In fact there's a menu on the table already, which you could have consulted at any time, if you were that desperate to plan your next course (that symbolises the EPG, or the Radio Times, or the newspaper - you see, I've really thought through this metaphor). All that the waiter has achieved is to annoy the customer. Yes, you may well have chosen a dessert in just a moment's time, but now you've half a mind to just leave.

    That's what "in-programme pointers" are: they are a pushy waiter.

    Alternatively, savvy programme-makers should build in a couple of minutes of nothing at the end of each episode - such as an empty set, or characters just sitting there silently having delivered all their lines, or a slow zoom out from what just happened - so that "in-programme pointers" do not get in the way of the humour or the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the BBC have finally got round to replying. Here's their response. What do you think?



    Dear Mr Reed,

    I am the BBC Complaints Advisor who handles audience complaints about BBC Presentation and I am writing with regards to your concerns about our 'coming next' banners. We generally refer to such items as in-programme pointers (IPPs) and we currently only use them on BBC Three and CBBC. However, we’re continually conducting research in this area in order to assess the audience benefit of their use and policies can, and usually will, change.

    We use such methods of promotion when we believe the audience will benefit from receiving information about other BBC programmes or services which are relevant to their viewing. That could mean immediate navigation to upcoming content on the same channel or within the wider BBC portfolio, editorially linked content on another BBC channel, or online/red button content linked to a programme. It’s only natural that we want to let people know about the various BBC products or services available that they help pay for via the Licence fee. Of course there are other ways viewers can retrieve this information but I’m also sure you can appreciate that not everyone plans their viewing by reading magazines or by checking the internet etc for schedule listings. Where we continue to use IPPs we aim to manage them sensitively and we pay particular care regarding dramas.

    While you may continue to disagree with our practice of using IPPS to keep viewers informed, I hope my response explains our reasoning. A great deal of careful consideration and planning goes into the whole process and we genuinely have the interests of our audience at the heart of what we do. This practice is certainly not intended to be intrusive but we’re sorry if that’s how you perceive it.


    For future reference I should add that we would require you to contact us directly with your concerns (http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints) rather than providing a link to your website. Among other reasons, this will ensure that your comments are logged accurately on the BBC feedback systems and made available to the relevant departments. It will also ensure that an escalation process can be followed.

    Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and I appreciate your patience in awaiting my response.

    Yours sincerely,
    Paul Kettle
    BBC Audience Services

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well - he read it - that's a win!

    And he provided a reasoned response - an even bigger win.

    But there was nothing new really, basically the BBC view is that if you watch BBC 3 you must be an idiot who cannot read the interweb or stuff on paper.

    Oooh and - "we would require...." - SCARY!!!!

    ReplyDelete