Friday 4 June 2010

magpies

One is for... sorrow? I think that's right. It's a David Bowie song. Except I think it's a cover. I don't know who did the original. It's not very good,anyway. Ashes to Ashes is good. The song. And the TV show as well, but I'm talking about the song.

Hello. At least once a week I pretend I'm about to blog, and then I feel the pressing need to wander about the house going 'laa laa laa, my house is nice.' Not my house, technically. But my home. I do have a house, but it's off imits. Geographically and conversationally.

Two is for... mirth. Not joy, as is often reported. Mirth. Which is joy, I suppose, but seems less hateful. Mirth. To rhyme with birth (coming soon).

I have had a variety of obsessions this year. Like Toad, of Toad Hall. I think it was him. I was obsessed with Adrian Mole for a bit, and that was nice. Then Stephen Segal, thanks to Vern's great book. This was quickly followed by a devotion to all things Chris Morris related. I listened to loads of Blue Jam, and On the Hour, all prompted by the great book 'Disgusting Bliss'. Recommended. I like my obsessional phases. I'm currently on A-ha, whom I love because I'm going to see them in November. So I bought lots of their albums and am listening to them a lot.

Three is for death. Yes, death. Not a girl. No. You can't have a girl. You can have death. The magpies bring the end of things. Death.

It is sunny, so there's that and that makes me happy. I'm very lucky to have a number of very good friends who like a) the sun, b) wine and c) drinking wine in the sun. Hard to believe that this time last year I was seriously thinking of moving away from these wonderful people. They keep me alive. And I need keeping alive. In case the magpies come.

Four is for birth. See, I told you that mirth was good for something. It rhymes with birth.

I'm enjoying Doctor Who, and Matt Smith is very, very good. Just watched him in Party Animals and he's a lovely actor. Looking forward to seeing where he takes his Doctor. The series has been zippy and entertaining and has made me glad. If I can keep away from the forums, and the spite and negativity that passes for fandom over there, I should be able to continue to enjoy the series in all its exhuberance. I'm just so happy, every week, that the series I have loved for so many years is on TV again.

Five... that'll do for now. Let's stay at four. Maybe it will encourage me to blog again before the year is out.

Enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment