Wednesday 30 November 2016

Time is Relative. Season 5 Part 2



Evening. Afternoon. Whatever.


I've been watching all of Doctor Who, from the start. I'm currently in the 1960s, where everything is black and white and really weird.


In my last post I looked at the stories of Season Five, sharing photos I'd taken while watching to give you some idea of what it's like living my exciting life.

It turns out that I took far too many photos to fit onto one blog post, though. Such is the excitement of Doctor Who. So here is the remainder of Season Five. It's thrilling, in so many ways.



5. The Web of Fear



There is a web in the story, and it is 'of fear'. Here we see the eponymous web covering the TARDIS. It looks spooky and strange. Don't worry, though. There is no giant spider of fear. That would be ridiculous.







This is the story where Doctor Who meets his best friend - the Brigadier. Except here he's a Colonel. But his real name is The Brigadier.


He meets Doctor Who in the London Underground, and thinks about killing him, in case he's responsible for the web of fear. Doctor Who says "I'm not." And this seems to work, and then they are friends.






Hurray - it's Anne Travers! She is my favourite character from the story, and maybe from all Doctor Who. She's very clever and self assured, and quite funny too. See the look that soldier is giving her? It's one of grudging respect. That's the highest compliment a soldier can give.






There are some really good compositions in this story. I think that's why I took so many photos. Here we see Doctor Who doing a think about the web of fear. The soldier is not giving him a look of grudging respect, is he? That's just a look of grudging. And the Brigadier is enjoying his hat. "This is a great hat!" he's thinking, mistakenly.


Actually, maybe that's what Doctor Who is thinking about. He's thinking "I like the Brigadier, but his hat is ridiculous. I'm hope I didn't look that stupid in my hat." You did, Doctor Who. You did.







This is a very badly taken picture, isn't it? But it still looks cool. It's the yeti again! The one at the back looks extra spooky. I like how most of the monsters in this show hang out in twos. It means they always have a friend to talk to. These two are talking about if it is safe to eat the web of fear, and if it would taste nice.







Later, the yeti get in a big gang and go rampaging all over London. Raar!


They look significantly better in the shadows, don't they? These ones look drunk. The one on the left is pointing at us, shouting "What are you looking at, you slag?"







This yeti has a gun. Why does it need a gun? It's a massive robot monster!


And it looks furious. How did they do that? How did they make a hairy face with glowing eyes look like it has an emotion? They're very skilled on this programme.








He thinks he's escaped the yeti, and now he's wondering if he might have a sandwich. But he hasn't escaped at all, has he? Quite how the yeti is sneaking through that door I don't know. I think it's standing very still, hoping he doesn't turn round. Yeti are murderous, but they hate confrontation.






The Brigadier is saying "So what's the verdict on my hat?" Doctor Who and Anne are wondering how to frame their response in a way that respects his feelings.


Man, I've taken loads of pictures of this story, haven't I? I think I took this just because I like Anne Travers so much, and I was sad that she wasn't going to be in it any more. She'd have made a great companion.






6. Fury From the Deep





This story is meant to be great. All we've got is photos and a soundtrack, though, so it's hard to tell. Yes, it's another one that the BBC chopped into bits and fed to geese.


But at least we have this photo, where Doctor Who and all his companions are totally freaking out. What has scared them? We'll never know. Except that it makes a whooshing sound. And it doesn't bother Jamie so much. And the woman at the back doesn't give a toss.






This is a good bit from the story. These guys are evil, and I think they're possessed by some gas or some seaweed or something. This woman was doing her hair, but they've interrupted her to do some evil shrieking.





Shriiiieeeeeek!




Shriiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk!


It's very unsettling. I don't know what this guy's deal is, but he's clearly not happy. Maybe he's really sensitive about his receding hairline, and the woman's hairbrush set him off.






Later, the woman walks off into the sea. I think maybe the shrieking guy possessed her with gas, or seaweed, or whatever the hell the monster is this week. People call it a 'seaweed monster' but I can't see any evidence of that.


The guy watching her is her boss, I think. She says "I'm off into the sea now," and just walks off and goes under the water, and he just watches her and goes "OK". I'd never get away with that at work. I'd need a sick note or something.





7. The Wheel in Space




Hurray! It's the Cybermen again. This one lives inside a bouncy ball. That's why he's going "Yippee!"






There's some trippy art deco stuff going on in this scene. The Cyberman is asking what all the lava lamps are for. The guy on the right is saying "No-one knows. We just like them." And the Cyberman is thinking "I like them too, but I'd better not say."







When the man is gone, the Cyberman has a good old look around. He hasn't got a mate, like the monsters normally do. So he can do what he wants and no-one will tell.






Doctor Who senses the Cybermen. How? They don't breathe or anything. Maybe one of them sneezed. That would be gross for a Cyberman. How would he get the sneeze off the inside of his helmet?






Here's those same two cybermen. I like the way the light shines off the one on the right. I think he's the smart one of the two. His body language suggests "Getting things done." The one on the left looks a bit dim. His body language suggests "I am not following this sequence of events."






The story climaxes with an army of see-through Cybermen wandering about in space. What are they walking on? There's no floor in space. They seem to think there is. And, such is their mighty power, space believes them.


They don't win, though. Someone presses a button and they all spin off, to their doom. Good. They weren't very interesting this time.






That's all for now.


Maybe you could enjoy some of my older blogs, like "That time my ex-girlfriend annoyed me" or "Clever answers I've just thought of to win arguments I had years ago."






Click here for Season Six

Go back to Season Five, part One

















No comments:

Post a Comment