Tuesday 1 February 2011

Maiden Voyage


January is gone! We can have fun again. Gloomy, miserable January, with its perpetual cold and eternal grey skies, has wandered off to irritate people in the next dimension and we can start to live again.

I'm not saying there weren't some good things about the month. I had my birthday, and saw a lot of friends, and that was good. And got many wonderful gifts for said birthday. I am reassured that the presents I received for my 40th birthday included an awful lot of toys, films and T-shirts. Clearly maturity is still some way off.

In fact, I seem to be regressing. Thanks to an excellent documentary on BBC4, I have rediscovered my love of heavy metal guitar wranglers Iron Maiden and have bought myself a couple of albums I last possessed in the 80s - namely Powerslave and Piece of Mind, as well as the DVD of the live concert Live After Death. Really, really enjoyable. Clever, daft and thrilling all at the same time.

I'd like to say that my teenage interest in Maiden passed in a fit of growing up, but it is not the case. Sadly, my large collection of vinyl LPs and singles, as well as some very exciting T-shirts,  went onto a big bonfire in the name of over-zealous Christianity. It seems ridiculous now, but back then I was seriously convinced that owning merchandise made by these fun loving, tongue-in-cheek rockers might open up a portal to hell. I blame my church - a bit on the right wing side - and my own rather naive approach to faith. And maybe, just a little bit, Iron Maiden for calling one of their albums 'The Number of the Beast'.



Anyway, I'm better now. I'm sure there is plenty of music that might be unhealthy, in a spiritual sense, but it's more likley to be condoning the staus quo and encouraging an isolationist, consumerist hegemony rather than dressing in a scary mask and shouting 'Yaarg'. Chew on that, idiot-panicky Christians. Except you can't, because you already read the words 'Iron Maiden' and have run away to scrub out your ears, in case they get possessed.

Suffice to say, after a January full of being ill, feeling down and not really wanting to blog, I live again. Maybe it was listening to Maiden that helped. Maybe I just needed to get through the month, in which case thank you to those who helped. You are lovely.

Various things have vexed me recently, but I will come to them in due course. For now, here are two things which cause me inexplicable worry:

i) The suspicion that, even though I know it's OK to close the DVD tray by pushing it in physically, rather than using the button, I am somehow being cruel to it.

ii) An ungovernable fear, when looking at the recommendations on my Amazon site, that I must not lie about which albums I do and do not own. Yes, I own some Bob Dylan albums. But I know that if I say 'I own it', you will take this as a sign to recommend every album he has ever made. Which is loads, and I don't want any. So why don't I say 'Not interested'? I don't know. I feel like I'm being dishonest, and that somehow Amazon will know. And it will feel betrayed. And I've already upset the DVD player.

Sigh. Maybe when I'm 50 this will all make more sense.

See you soon.

4 comments:

  1. Good to have you back. I have special possession-proof earmuffs that I wear when reading your blog so am okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I couldn't resist commenting on a Maiden post.

    Make sure you get hold of last year's Final Frontier album. It's their best in a while (the two before that were weak, I thought) and manages to be both proggy and gloriously unreconstructed NWOBHM.

    In a similar vein (although a little more knucklehead), you might find Scorpions' last album fun (Sting in the Tail).

    Also good last year were Dillinger Escape Plan: Option Paralysis, Laurie Anderson: Homeland, Souad Massi: O Houria, Shining: Blackjazz, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross: Social Network OST and Aborym: Psychogrotesque. Although none of those are like Maiden.

    Happy listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. Thanks Tim. I was wondering ho to navigate Maiden's back catalogue. My inital engagement with them went up to Seventh Son, and there seem to be dozens of albums since then. So which are the ones I should avoid?

    I've got the Social Network soundtrack. I loved it while watchng the film, and grabbed it as soon as I could. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pastor of my church did same thing, destroyed all his Iron Maiden records when he became a Christian then ended up buying them again years later.

    ReplyDelete